California politicians are not even trying to pretend that they have any respect for the Second Amendment any longer. The Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors has just voted to form a brand-new, taxpayer-funded “county gun team” and they are not even hiding its purpose. It’s a bureaucratic gun confiscation team and in many cases, it will be targeting people who have not even been convicted of crimes for confiscation.
Santa Clara County, California is basically the heart of Silicon Valley. It includes San Jose, Mountain View and the southern end of the “Bay Area.” Adobe, PayPal and a bunch of other big tech companies we’ve all heard of are headquartered there. This is an example of the type of politics they’d like to impose on the rest of America.
The Board of Supervisors voted unanimously to create their new gun confiscation squad. It will consist of three crime analysts, a couple of attorneys and a couple of prosecutors. The county has come to the realization that in many cases where it tells people to surrender their guns to the government because they’ve ended up on an arbitrary list, those people don’t always obey. The duty of the gun confiscation squad is to go after those people by making sure their guns are forcibly taken away.
It will go through lists to figure out who’s on the naughty list, and then obtain search warrants to go after them (as long as they are not in a protected Democrat group, obviously). The bureaucrats will, of course, sit safely in their air-conditioned offices while they send out other people with guns to carry out the confiscations.
And those bureaucrats don’t come cheap. Two of the positions that they’ve created out of thin air will cost the taxpayers an additional $427,000 a year. But no biggie. Taxpayer money grows on trees, right?
The following sorts of people will now be targeted by the Santa Clara gun confiscation team:
- People with a history of mental illness. This is deliberately vague. What does “a history” mean? What if a parent or grandparent had a mental illness? Does that count? What if a person has gotten better through treatment? Do things like attending marriage counseling count toward that history?
- People with a history of alcoholism. Because no one has ever succeeded in the struggle against alcoholism for five, ten, 15 or 30 years, right? Look for them to subpoena membership lists from Alcoholics Anonymous.
- People convicted of liberals’ fake “hate” crimes. California will probably pass a law classifying mean tweets as “hate” crimes within the next two or three years, if they haven’t already done so by the time I finish typing this article.
- People subject to an outstanding arrest warrant. Huh? How is that supposed to work? Will the gun confiscation team issue a second warrant to seize any possible firearms from a person who has an arrest warrant out for them? Welcome to California’s Redundant Agency of Redundancy!
- Wards of the juvenile court system. This is another favorite trick of liberals. If a troubled teen cleans up their act and later becomes a law-abiding adult, the Santa Clara gun grabbing team can still raid their home at any time until they turn 30 to look for firearms.
- Anyone subject to a red flag order. Uh… once again, just a tad bit redundant?
Obviously, none of these rules will apply to politicians, leftwing activists or journalists who call for violence against Trump supporters or Supreme Court Justices, as Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) did the other day. The arbitrary and vague rules are for normal people who might want to protect their lives and the lives of their families as California descends into a lawless hellhole.
Even though San Jose and Mountain View don’t get as much press as San Francisco and Los Angeles, these over-priced liberal havens have more than their fair share of disgusting hoboes, illegal alien rapists, street poopers and needles littering the streets. So, this is a typical “great job” by a set of liberal politicians. Ignore the public health and crime disasters happening on your watch by imposing hundreds of thousands of dollars in new taxes to target and prosecute gun owners.
It’s not like there’s anything else going on that the Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors should be worried about. I’d also note that while California is spending ever larger amounts of taxpayer money to attack the Second Amendment, they were the first state to declare a State of Emergency over the coronavirus. Wouldn’t want to be second in line for those sweet federal taxpayer dollars!
It’s true, the left isn’t even hiding it any longer. If Joe Biden becomes president in November, they really are coming to take away your “AR-14s.”